- It takes about 300 volunteer hours to keep our regularly scheduled operations running smoothly for one week. We are deeply grateful to the men and women who faithfully meet that need week in and week out.
- Hundreds more short-term volunteer hours are needed to accomplish seasonal Special Projects throughout the year, particularly during the holiday season.
- For a variety of safety, confidentiality and logistic considerations, volunteers must be at least 16 years of age.
If you are interested in serving with us, please see our Current Volunteer Needs above. You can also be placed on an ON CALL list so we can contact you if other volunteer needs arise within the coming weeks. Be sure to include your schedule availability, e-mail address and phone number. See our Volunteer Contact information below.
Regular Operations Volunteer Positions
Drivers (21 years of age and older) and Food Pickup Runners (18 years and older)
Monday - Friday, we send out teams of volunteers into various stores in the area to pick up designated donated food and products. The groups leave in our van and truck at 8:00 am and return to offload, weigh, sort and prep the donations for distribution to our clients. Volunteers need to be able to lift 40 pounds, as the trays/crates do get heavy.
Daily food bank operations (16 years and older)
We strive to provide a welcoming and well organized shopping experience for our clients. Volunteers work together here in the food bank warehouse Monday - Friday to:
- Clean, prep and display fresh fruits and vegetables
- Sort canned and dry goods per category and date code
- Repackage bulk items such as dried beans, oatmeal, rice
- Restock shelves and coolers, rotating product
- Break down/remove boxes, return crates to holding area
- Clean and sweep at shifts end
- Other needed tasks as requested by staff
Home Deliveries (21 years and older)
Once each month volunteers deliver food to our home bound clients. Volunteers prepare the individual delivery boxes, load our van and set out on an established home delivery route.
Special Projects Volunteer Needs
We have the privilege of working with the community to provide additional, seasonal services. Hundreds of hours of volunteer time are logged each year just for special projects. Volunteers are needed for:
- School Supply Backpack Program - August. Sort school supplies and stuff new backpacks in time for the new school year.
- Children's Christmas Gift Program - December. Set up special gift center for parents to choose gifts for their children. Sort and organize donated toys, decorate and stock gift center, or help with gift distribution.
- Gardening - Help plant, cultivate and harvest produce in our 6 raised beds.
- Grounds Work and Food Bank Spring Cleaning - Help us maintain a safe and welcoming environment for our clients. Grounds keeping and facility cleaning projects are scheduled on special clean up days.
- Food Drives - Conducting a food drive is a great way to volunteer and make a difference in your community.
- "Lettuce" Garden To Share - Grow or purchase and donate fresh fruit and vegetables. Produce donations can be dropped off at the food bank during our business hours.
There will occasionally be opportunities for groups wishing to serve together to schedule a
work party according to our staffing needs at the time.
Court Ordered Community Service
If you are interested in fulfilling Court Ordered Community Service requirements, or community service in lieu of a fine, you must come to our office, Monday - Friday, 2:00 - 3:00 pm to fill out an Inquiry Form. You will be contacted ONLY if there is a current need for your services. Court Order or sentencing documents will be required at the time work is scheduled. Phone calls and emails regarding requests for court related community service work will not be returned.