Stretch your budget and access healthier foods!
Access to nutritious foods is essential for adults and children to be healthy. As a dedicated food bank, we are committed to providing nutritious food and health education to positively impact our neighbors.
Things to consider before shopping:
• Item 1
• Item 2
• Item 3
• Item 4
• Item 5
Not Enough Food
1 in 5 families in South King County does not always have enough to eat.
In food banks of Western WA, 54% of households have a member with high blood pressure and 42% have a member with diabetes.
Heart disease death rates in South King County are higher than countywide rates.
South King County has higher rate of diabetes than the rest of the county (10% vs. 7%)
We are committed to:
Serving our clients with dignity.
- We will create environments that allow clients to have more freedom to choose which foods fit their dietary needs.
- We will provide healthy choices.
- We will serve with abundance.
Putting our clients’ health first by prioritizing the distribution of recommended USDA’s MyPlate foods such as:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially fresh
- Whole grains
- Low-fat or non-fat dairy and milk products
- A variety of protein foods
- Foods lower in sodium and with less added sugar
Providing more fresh foods.
- We will seek to supplement donated foods with the purchase of fresh foods as well as distribution of Elk Run Farm produce.
- When purchasing food, we will seek to limit processed foods to those that are low in sodium and added sugars.
- Using behavioral economics strategies to highlight healthy food options, so the healthy choice is the easy choice.
Providing nutrition education about the foods that we distribute and information on how to prepare them.
- We will focus education on key health concerns for our region, especially high blood pressure and diabetes.
- We will provide information like recipes and pamphlets
- When possible, we will translate materials into languages other than English.
- We will provide food samples and cooking demonstrations when possible.
Educating our community about the disparities that exist in South King County.
- We will inform our donors about the importance of donating foods that help to improve our clients’ health.
- We will highlight to our community members the importance of their neighbors’ health and provide them with a forum to enact change.